JEE Main 2018 Eligibility Criteria
The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) will conduct the JEE Main 2018 exam in both online and offline mode. The Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Main 2018 is also the qualifying test for JEE Advanced 2018. JEE Advanced 2018 gives aspirants a platform to seek admission into seats available in 23 Indian Institute of Technology's (IITs). Candidates who have passed or are appearing for Class 12 or equivalent board exams can apply for JEE Main 2018. JEE Main 2018 admit card will be available tentatively from the 2nd week of March and the result will be declared on April 30. JEE Main is a national level engineering entrance exam conducted for admissions to UG engineering courses offered in 31 NITs, 23 IITs and 23 CFTIs. JEE Main 2018 is conducted by CBSE via online and offline modes for admission in NITs (National Institute of Technology), IIITs (Indian Institute of Information Technology), IITs (Indian Institute of Technology) and other (CFTs) Centrally Funded Technically Institutions across India. It is also a qualifying exam for JEE advanced 2018. The eligibility criteria as set by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) for JEE Main 2018 Paper 1 and Paper 2 exam is as follows:
Jee Main 2018 Eligibility Criteria
|Date of Birth||
Note:Date of birth will be considered as mentioned in the Secondary Education Board/ University certificate.
The 5 subjects for B.Tech/ BE. are:
1-Language, 2-Physics, 3-Mathematics, 4-Any one of (Chemistry, Biology, Biotechnology, Technical Vocational Subject), 5-Any other subject
The 5 subjects for B.Arch/ B. Planning are:
1-Language, 2-Physics, 3-Mathematics (compulsory), 4-Any one of (Chemistry, Biology, Biotechnology, Technical Vocational Subject), 5-Any other subject
|Number of attempts||A JEE Main candidate can avail 3 attempts for the national level undergraduate engineering entrance exam.|
Note: For admissions to NITs/ IIITs/ GFTIs, candidates should have secured at least 75% marks in class 12th exam or be in the top 20 percentile in the class 12th exam conducted by the respective board. For SC/ ST candidates, the eligibility criteria is 65% marks in class XII.
JEE Main 2018 Eligibility Criteria for Qualifying Examination (QE)
To be eligible for JEE Main 2018, candidates will have to qualify in any of the following exams:
- 10+2 or any equivalent exam, conducted by any recognized Central/ State board like CBSE, ICSE, Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations, New Delhi etc.
- Intermediate or Pre-University Course or Pre-Degree Course examination conducted by a recognized Board/ University.
- Final examination of the 2-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the National Defence Academy.
- Vocational examination of H.S.C.
- National Institute of Open Schooling conducted Senior Secondary School Examination with a minimum of 5 subjects.
- AICTE or State board of technical education recognised Diploma of at least 3 years duration.
- Association of Indian Universities (AIU) recognised school, board, university examination in India or in any foreign country recognized as equivalent to the 10+2 system.
- General Certificate Education (GCE) exam (London/ Cambridge/ Sri Lanka) at Advanced (A) level. This is only for admission to IITs.
- High School Certificate Examination by Cambridge University or International Baccalaureate Diploma of the International Baccalaureate Office. This is also for admission to IITs.
Note:- For admission to IITs - the candidate is required to have passed at least one public (Board or Pre-University) examination at an earlier level, in case the relevant qualifying examination is not a public examination.
JEE Main 2018 Educational Qualification Criteria:
- Aspirants who have passed Class 12th/Qualifying examination in 2015 or before as well as those who will appear in such examination in 2019 or later are not eligible to appear in JEE (Main) – 2018.
- Asprants must have studied and written exams for at least five subjects in class 12th/ qualifying examination in order to be eligible for writing Exam.
- The Aspirants who have taken only four subjects are not eligible to write JEE (Main) 2018.
- The states of Madhya Pradesh, Nagaland and Odisha have joined the JEE Main exam system since 2014. The age limit and the number of attempts for admission to institutions in these states will be followed as per their past practices. However, this will not be applicable for admission to IITs/ NITs/ IIITs/ GFTIs.
It is important for applicants of JEE Main 2018 to have Aadhaar Card because while filling the application form of JEE Main 2018, candidates will have to provide their Aadhaar card number, name, date of birth and gender for identification and authentication purposes. Candidates must ensure that the details provided in their Aadhaar Card matches with that of their school records.
- For candidates who do not have their Aadhaar Cards, they will have to fill an application for Aadhaar enrollment if they are entitled to obtain it as per section 3 of Aadhaar Act.
- Candidates who do not possess Aadhaar Card and have passed or appearing in Class XII from J&K, Meghalaya, and Assam, will have to enter their passport number, ration card number,bank account number or any other valid Govt. identity number provided that they should select the city of examination in these states only.
JEE Main 2018 Eligibility Criteria - State Codes:
The State Code of JEE Main 2018 means the code of the State from where a candidate has passed class 10+2 or equivalent exam on the basis of which he or she will become eligible to appear in the entrance exam.
Note: In case, a candidate has passed class 10+2 or equivalent qualifying examination from a particular state but has appeared for improvement from a different state, then his or her state code of eligibility will be the one from where he or she has originally passed 10+2 class or equivalent qualifying exam. In this case, the candidate’s JEE Main 2018 state code of eligibility will not be the state from where he or she has appeared for improvement.
JEE Main State Codes 2018
|Name of State/ UT||Code||Name of State/ UT||Code|
|Andaman & Nicobar Islands (UT)||01||Lakshadweep (UT)||19|
|Andhra Pradesh||02||Madhya Pradesh||20|
|Dadra & Nagar Haveli (UT)||08||Odisha||26|
|Daman & Diu (UT)||09||Puducherry (UT)||27|
|Jammu & Kashmir||15||Uttar Pradesh||33|
|Foreign/ OCI/ PIO/ Nepal / Bhutan||98|