Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT), informally VIT University, formerly Vellore Engineering College is a Private Deemed University/institute located in the outskirts of Vellore, Tamil Nadu, India. Founded in 1984, as Vellore Engineering College, by G. Viswanathan, the institution offers 36 Undergraduate, 31 Postgraduate, 4 Integrated and 3 Research programs. It has campuses in Vellore and Chennai (Tamil Nadu), Bhopal (Madhya Pradesh), and Amaravati (Andhra Pradesh), India.
It was established under Section 3 of the University Grants Commission (UGC) Act, 1956, and was founded in 1984 as a self-financing institution called the Vellore Engineering College. The Union Ministry of Human Resources Development conferred University status on Vellore Engineering College in 2001.
- Over 2,23,000 appeared for the VIT Engineering Entrance Examination (VITEEE) in 2017
- The institution offers 36 Undergraduate, 31 Post graduate, 4 Integrated and 3 Research Programmes.
- NAAC has re-accredited VIT with an 'A' grade.
- A 360-acre eco-friendly campus with over 50.83 lakh sq.ft. built-up space at Vellore.
- A 170 acre eco-friendly second campus at Chennai.
- Over 35,000 students, with nearly 1/3rd of them women
- Students from 60 countries as well as from every state in India
- Over 1400 faculty and 1413 staff.
- VIT has been accredited by TCS, Wipro and Cognizant for academic collaboration and placements.
- Entered the Limca Book of Records for Campus Recruitment.
- VIT Vellore
- VIT Chennai
- VIT Bhopal
- VIT Amaravati